10 facts about sleep

Our emotions, feelings and experiences are continued in a dream. Every day we go to sleep, but what do we know about sleep itself? Little-known facts about sleep.

Dreams are projections of our emotions, feelings and experiences. The nature of dreams is still not fully understood, although they have been the subject of interest of scientists since the beginning of science. It is known that dreams are dreamed not only by people but also by mammals, birds, fish and even insects.

1. During deep sleep, your body is paralyzed

Perhaps nature has provided a mechanism so that we do not try to reproduce the actions that we dream of. The cervical glands produce a hormone that is responsible for falling asleep, and neurons send signals to the spinal cord, due to which our body first relaxes and then becomes immobile.

2. Our sleep is affected by external stimuli

Surely this has happened to you: extraneous sounds that reality makes break into your dream and in some way in it mutate (For example, a friend throws stones at your window to wake you up, and you dream that this is a fox banging your head with its tail).

Sleep laying a hand on a man's back Salvador Dali
3. Quit smoking dream more vividly

People who smoked for a long time, and then broke up with this habit, in one smoky voice claim that their dreams have become much more intense. True, they mostly dream that they have again taken up a cigarette, and they wake up in horror, panic and with a hunger for nicotine.

4. Dreams about something more

Even if you dream of a very specific shop at the entrance, it is not at all a fact that your dream is specific about it. Most likely, your unconscious is flirting with you - it, as a rule, tries to compare this shop with something deeper and more important than a piece of wood. Dreams are symbolic.

5. Not everyone dreams in color

As many as 12% of sighted people see only black and white dreams. All the remaining 88% are rewarded with the opportunity to observe color dreams.

6. We only dream of those we know

Surely you yourself have repeatedly noticed that your dreams are full of strangers and suspected your imagination of inventing them on their own. In fact, all the people we see in a dream have met us at least once in reality. So that gnawed zombie that chased you half of last night could very well have the traits of your nursery teacher's husband.

7. Dreaming Prevents Psychosis

Students participating in a recent brutal study were woken up as soon as they had their first dream and then allowed to sleep for the prescribed 8 hours. In the next three days, the subjects experienced difficulty concentrating, hallucinations, and irritability. Those who did not interfere with the allotted 8 hours of sleep felt standard.

A dream caused by the flight of a bee around a pomegranate a second before awakening. Salvador Dali
8. Everyone has dreams

Absolutely all people have dreams, but they are different for men and women. Men, no matter how hard they try, more often dream of other men, and girls dream of both men and women in equal proportions.

9. We forget 90% of our dreams

Five minutes after waking up, you forget half of your dreams, and ten minutes later, you remember only 10% of your dreams. It is scary to imagine what chemistry lessons would be like if Mendeleev remembered the whole table that appeared to him in a dream.

10. Blind people dream

Those who are blind after birth dream of images that they saw before they lost their sight. People who were born blind also have dreams - as a set of sounds, smells and sensations.

"Private Correspondent"